It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:10 am

Welcome to TalonAirgun.com Guest!    Register  Or performs the  Login       

Information: The foremost Website for the discussion and tuning of AirForce Airguns

Daystate Mk4 Bullpup

Talk about Other BullPups here.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing, Wingman NZ

Daystate Mk4 Bullpup

Postby synopsys » Wed May 30, 2012 11:47 pm

I was thinking that the tubed Airwolf with the electronic trigger would make a good candidate for a bullpup with one smooth as glass trigger without needing any clunky linkage.

For those that have taken one apart do you think it is possible to extend the factory wiring and move the trigger forward to a typical bullpup position?

I checked out Ted's video of the disassembly and didn't really see any issues with moving the trigger, but it wasn't a total tear down...

The other hard part is remounting the scope, via a new rail closer to the muzzle. I see a lot of bullpups with the scope rail mounting parts clamped to the air tube. I had always thought that was a no-no since the tube expands slightly as the pressure decreases...

Is it really that much of an issue with accuracy?

I've been looking for a platform to pup out and I think the Mk4 is one of the better ones out there even though it is fairly expensive...
synthetic-operating-system
Random avatar
synopsys

Postby synopsys » Wed May 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Random avatar
synopsys

Postby slow » Thu May 31, 2012 2:10 am

I know a guy who has a Pekator bullpup set. He bought a regulator from them as well. This was for a Hatsan 44.

The stock is the best part of the deal. The regulator bit the dust after a couple of shots, the trigger linkage was missing half the screws and nuts straight from the factory.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but would likely not let them mess with a Daystate rifle, had I one.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx-
Random avatar
slow

Postby oldgoat » Thu May 31, 2012 4:17 am

Synopsys, I thought about doing kind of the same thing. I wanted to make a bull pup out of an Air Wolf. I posted it here earlier and I got a few PMs and emails from guys that had less than goods result with Pekator kits and parts.

I am not trying to dump on the guy but, I agree with Slow.

The R2.5 Matadors used air tube/barrel/scope rail clamps to locate the forward mounted scope rail. They don’t seem to too badly suffer from having the scope rail mounted to the air tube! The scope rail mounts on the R3 don’t clamp on the air tube. I think that the R3 is more accurate than the R2.5 but, I think that the R3s improved barrel mounting setup is the main reason for the better accuracy.

Kazzz doesn't do to badly with his R2.5 Matador that has the scope rail mounted to the air tube!

Ed has posted here that he has tested his air tubes to 10,000 psi and the air tube doesn’t increase more than .001”-.002” OD at that pressure.

The Air Wolf comes with a bottle and, unlike the FX Royale 400 that I made a bull pup out of, there is not enough room between the bottle and shroud for scope clamps to fit. You would need to have the bottle/scope mounts made and order a shorter shroud to clear the front air bottle/scope rail clamps. An air tube off of a Huntsman XL will fit the Air Wolf with another $200 increase in cost. The Huntsman air tube would allow you to have scope mounts made that would clear the shroud. You would still have to make a stock for it.

The Mark 4 doesn’t have enough room between the air tube and barrel to have scope clamps fitted. The shroud would need to be shortened to make room.

If I was going to make a bull pup out of a Daystate, I would start with an Air Wolf, add the Huntsmans's air tube and go from there.

The trigger has to activate a micro switch to fire the gun. That whole assembly could cause headaches trying to move it forward. You might be better off making a new trigger and having a rod going back to activate the micro switch.

I still might try doing this. If you go ahead with it, please let us know.
Have Edguns, Will Travel.
oldgoat

Postby synopsys » Thu May 31, 2012 10:53 am

Good info guys.

I was looking to do my own conversion and not buy a kit. Full disclosure, i'm not very excited about the Pekator stock. They are well machined and beautifully finished (got to see one a month ago) but I find parts of some of them a bit clunky looking. It's a personal preference thing really, sort of like enjoying one color over another.

I kind of figured the trigger assembly would be fairly easy to relocate, which is part of the attraction to the whole Daystate system. :? I'll admit the on/off switch has me scratching my head, it looks like a pin hit something on the circuit board to turn the rifle on and off... :o I would REALLY like to avoid the linkage. If I have to use linkage then i'd go with an Air Arms multishot action and do two at the same time!!!

I was thinking of doing a clamp that went around the barrel and the airtube just to make it easy to pull off. But it would be nice to have the option to have a different setup if I found that the accuracy wasn't what I was looking for... The added airtube to the Wolf is a good tip. I like options. :wink:
Random avatar
synopsys

Postby foxback » Thu May 31, 2012 7:53 pm

Synopsys you may find these interesting. :D

301 RABBIT 103 PIGEON 41 SQUIRREL 140 CROWS 8 GROUND HOGS
foxback

Postby Demp223 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 pm

Very nice Foxback. :8:
Edgun Matador R3 22 long-20fpe
Edgun Matador R3 25 long(new reg version)50fpe

TEAM EDGUN
-Field Target, USA-
Demp223

Postby moonbear » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:54 am

i have a pekator kit on my hw100, i bought the kit consisting of stock and linkage set which i fitted myself and went together very well.. i believe the company GINB have started to do bullpup kits as well the stocks are cut very close to the one on the matador.. :D
"one life"-"live it"
moonbear

Postby ttik2k » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:10 am

Ive always wanted to build one also, seems like the perfect setup. Like you said syn, would be the best trigger in the business. The way i see it,get a new micro switch and just run wires to the board ,sounds simple. Would it work? Who knows.Their mag system is butter smooth also. I'm really not sure why daystate doesn't make a bullpup?
Random avatar
ttik2k

GINB bullpup stocks...

Postby Hoot » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:45 am

GINB = 450E or....$540.00 USD per stock.

I contacted Pekador and they told me to wait, and they would contact me. So I waited. That was six months ago. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for?

The bullpup providers are nucking futs if they think I'm going to do business with either outfit.

Chagrined...perhaps even slightly perturbed!

Kindly 'Ol Uncle H :shock: :shock: T
"One day I’ll be dead and someone will find this website and think, ‘Wow! That guy was really stupid. Good thing he’s dead.’”
Hoot

Postby moonbear » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:55 am

i was told that daystate did do a bullpup years back not sure why they didnt stay in that market, i have however got a daystate harrier bullpup that was done by another company also years back i managed to buy this 2nd hand 2years back its not electronic and honestly the matador seems to be far better quality and not as pellet fussy, but i have a thing about bullpups so stays as part of my collection..this photo of the daystate matador and hw100 with pekator stock was taken before i had my guns hydrographically dipped..

"one life"-"live it"
moonbear

Postby oldgoat » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:55 am

While waiting for my R2.5 25 cal long to come in, I bought a 22 cal FX Royale 400, just to make a bull pup out of it. I was kinda bored with the waiting!

Nice gun. I shot it once as delivered and then worked on making a bull pup out of it. I got the mods made and fitted the action to a stock that I made for it. The stock still needed final shaping and a couple of coats of spray can black truck bed liner. The FX bull pup turned out to be about an inch shorter than my R2.5 22 cal standard Matador. I didn’t notice any accuracy decrease by making the FX into a bull pup.

My R2.5 25 cal long version came in and I haven’t touched the FX since then.

I joined the Daystate Owners Club forum just to get news on the .303 cal Wolverine. Daystate has said that they have plans for smaller cal versions. As soon as a 25 cal version is released, I will be all over it! The .303 gets 12-15 regulated shots at 120 fpe using a 47 grain diablo pellet. I want to find out how many shots it will get with a 25 cal 35-45 grain cast/swaged bullet.

I will make a bull pup out of it and swap barrels if needed.

Just watch, as soon as I get the Wolverine and start converting it, Ed will release the 9mm Matador and the damn Wolverine will end up being almost completed also!

I love bull pups!
Have Edguns, Will Travel.
oldgoat

Postby kazzz » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:39 am

Og,

Are you sure?

I thought the .303 has 100FPE with 51 grainers?
kazzz

Return to Other BullPups