It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Welcome to TalonAirgun.com Guest!    Register  Or performs the  Login       

Information: The foremost Website for the discussion and tuning of AirForce Airguns

Benjamin Regal

Talk about Guns by companies other than AirForce here.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing, Y

Benjamin Regal

Postby Cygnus X » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:54 am

was by big-5 in the mall to look for ome stuff...and as always have to check oy their gun selection, an my eye fell on a benjamin regal NP....it was the np that attracted me.

it was on sale for 180$..too much imho so i do what i allways try and haggle for the price...and i got a 10% discount off and 10$ coupon as well which took it down to 164 with tax..just 5 bucks more than pyramids corsman trail...so that was ok....and i got them to throw in a tin of crosman premiers hollowpoints. i dont really like those pellets they have not worked in any of my other guns but hey to get break the barrel in it would do just fine, and if they could hit the big spinner i got set up at 20-25 yards (sorry cant find my range finder) it would be just fine

of course it had the usually 1200 fps with hyper light ammo, and 1000 fps with 7.* lead ammo...but they where kind to write 18 fpe on the box, and thats what i looked at ....18 fpe is perfect for .177 imho...its right at the point where all pellets will shoot at a good speed from heavy to lighter ones

it came with a 4-32mm scope and cheap rings with tape

had to call yellow ninja, and steve LA to get them to do research for me in a hurry to see if this gun is crap or not...it wa mixed reviews they digged out so i double checked that i could return it, gound the credit an walked through the mall with a with a new rifle YAY

the Regal is a weird combo

Benjamin nitro pistons usually come with weaver rail, and crosman comes with dovetail

Benjamin comes with full barrel lenght shroud and crosman only gives you a barrel weight

how ever the regal is a big-5 only rifle so i guess the got things mixed up to make it a special one

it has dovetail like the crosman, but it has full lenght shroud like the benjamin....no open sights....the stock is ambi, with rubber butt pad, looks and quality of metal is great....the stock how ever has been treated to a thick layer of glosssy coat....very think and er shiny....but is has chekering on the pistol grip and the forarm, its a slim and good fit for me, and not to big for a young shooter either ...so despite its ungly coating its actually pretty good...

trigger safety is much like what my theoben eliminator has...right in front og the trigger is the blade push it forwards and its good to go, backwards ad its safe...what i really like is that the safety does not reset when cocking the rifle...while not the best safety device i like it, i hate when the safety resets everytime you cock the rifle

overall its a light rifle that shoulders well, it was easy to get the scope setup, and it comes natural up to the eye when raising the rifle to take a shot

trigger however...at first i thought i was a two stage because the first millimeter its pulls easy, then it creeps for eternity until you think now its going to shot and then it gets a tad lighter and after that you hit the "second stage" and it goes bang.

charly datuna says its only a 1 stage trigger just one with endless amounts of creep

in a deal back a few years i got a batch of 5000+ crowmagnums so i decided to start breaking the rifle in with these pellets...they are not the best but good enough to lead the bore and have the nitro pistonsettle in

i put it on my shooting bagholding down the forarm down sligtly and shoulder to stock and started the loooooong pull of the trigger...and to my surprice when i did all my to make a good shot it actually shot clover leafs at 20-25 yards with these pelllets that had been rumbling in a huge container and where not in a good shape....but heay just breaking it in right ?

baby crying and needs food...much more to come
Pick my lock, meet my Glock
Cygnus X

Postby AirGunner1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:13 am

I had a new NP XL 1100. Unless you are willing to find out how to shoot an artillery piece and have the same clothing and never rest the gun on anything but the exact same thing (open flat hand), then don't get it. True the NP XL 1100 is more of a magnum springer, but that is up to you. They never should have made a magnum springer for the average guy.
Random avatar
AirGunner1

Postby Cygnus X » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:40 pm

i belive the regal is not the xl...its the crosman trail with a different stock and the benjamin barrel, just 18 fpe....the XL version advertises at 1500 fps..mine says 1200...and 1000 with lead...i havent chronied it but results of targets etc says it has a bit of power but not that much

its very comfy to shoot, the cocking force is not like i expected it to be...much easier and smooth . they got the nitro piston made up very nicely ...i love the shot cycle, short pop....no twist etc much like my eliminator was....i can actually shoot this springer...and i could shoot the theoben eliminator .22 (called crowmagnum here in the states) it has a gaspiston as well...and some extra stuff like a anti bounce weight that keeps the pistion from comming back once it hits the wall...its the only rifle with a gas piston that had that ...i could shoot 1" groups with that magnum springer and it chronied exactly at 29.5 fpe

this one dont really care that much how its held...the problem is the trigger...is there any way to take it apart and polish some parts without taking the pressure of the spring or complete disassembly....is there an extra spring thats adds weight to the trigger pull for safety that can just be removed like found on other crosman guns...to make the trigger lighter

the adjustment screw behind the trigger blade that can be adjusted without taking anything appart does nothing....so what can be done in a safe an easy manner without dumping 30$ into a tuna trigger....i dont mind the 30$ but he fucking want people to go to the bank or postoffice and get a check made out...my OCD will not allow that

took out a spring from te trigger group...that returns the trigger, and it became better...not the trigger rattles a tiny bit like an airarms one...and the screw ehind the trigger actualy makes changes when you turn it......more tuning to be done...weird not having to pull a cow with your index finger when trying to shoot...but i was getting accurate with it

imho 16-18 fpe is where its at for .177 and high power...i find the 177 with more than 20 fpe stupid...yeah i know i had the eliminator...but if you need more than 20 fpe switch to .22 thats good from 20-30 fpe....and up 45 with most pellets....if you need more go .25 and toss it out at 80 fpe...if you need more .308 or 9mm...then .50....then .457 or .50

magnum springers are stupid....they are hard to shoot...hard to cock...few pellets work in them...break scopes etc...for most people the onl thing they get is bragging rights....and if you want 30 fpe ina a pringer there can be only one....the theoben eliminator...they do it right...fuck gamo and their crappy shit

airgunning is not about power....its about finesse when things go up into a higher state of mind...like dumping 600 fpe out of a .50....or killing bunnies at 50 yards with 11.5 fpe

the benji regal is not high power...well it is compared to ye old'e 12 fpe germans...but not by a whole lot...and pellet tech has come a long way so 18 fpe is quite doable without pushing the tech to its limits

ohhh the theoben trigger ....if the benji had that, it would be right up there with teh theobens in all aspects except stock quality...theoben in europe uses eeeeeexpensive hardwoood or walnut....not some pine shit crosman stuff on theirs

i forget where i was going with this post...been to a birthday....tired chasing kids....all doped up because of backpains...tommorrow has doctor appointment + arts and crafts class for the kid...dang
Cygnus X

Postby Cygnus X » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:51 pm

dang this rifle likes jsb .177's ...and im out....but i have 2500 premiers 10grain...dos not like them as much....but he for plinking in the backyard its fine...i can shoot 1" groups at 25 yards...and springer guy could probably shoot that thing much further....brought out the aa410 to see how lousy a shot i was and the group was only slightly smaller....yet i often hit critters at much further ranges with that and the rapid

the rifle seems to have gotten louder...i havent investigated..i found i el cheapy simmons in the safe its a 3-9x32 no paralaxx...its was easy with a screwdriver to turn the objective...and got it set perfect for my shooting distance....ahhh nice to have 9x zoom vs the 4x it had before (centerpoint) not sure the simmons will survive a springer...sometimes some weird shit happens

i will be shooting 3 shots that can be covered with a quater and then the next will be 2-3" off and again, and again...and then back to zero...scope...spellets...gun...moounts i dont know

i removed a spring from the trigger unit which made the trigger much nicer...not great through...but the screw behind the trigger actually seems to make a difference have to mess with that...dont really want to spend 30$ on a gtr trigger not when he doesnt even do paypal...what a pain in the ass to get a postal check or bank check....my ocd does not make it easy to get to the fucking post office nor bank...arghh ohh wait dont want it....must fix my self....must fix my self

other than that it has gotten a tad louder, it seems to be breaking in nicely, it seems to have potential....and the 1" swing target gets nailed every single time, so for the fun of it...its pretty good...now if that darn trigger...is there something that can be polished or tweaked ?
Cygnus X

Postby AirGunner1 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Here is the trigger mod for the NP series:

http://charliedatuna.com/GRT-III%20Trigger%20New.htm

I put one in my NP XL and improved the shooting 200%.
Random avatar
AirGunner1

Postby Cygnus X » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:25 pm

hmm....gdamn it....that would make the rifle a 200$ rifle...not the 150 i was shooting for...get it...shooting for LOL....

and they guy dont take any easy ways of payment...paypal

i might have to fold and just get one, cause i do like the rifle....

can you enlighten me in how it increased your shooting pleasure ? i mean accuracy LOL
Cygnus X

Postby Cygnus X » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:48 pm

update.....

its kind of love hate thing with this gun....the stock scope and mounts left me wishing for more (2 piece and 4x32) its kind of ok...for the gun for cans and stuff i have always had better scopes....and i had a hard time shooting groups with 4x and weird stuff was happening with fliers...i blamed lack of zoom

so i found a simmons 3-9x40 fixed AO...but the focus ring is exposed so it was easy to dial out paralax for my shooting distance...i only use this gun for one thing....plinking targets at 20-25y shooting it in was easy and i was surpriced...but then weird stuff started again....fliers and some day would be off several inches despite using proper hold etc....some screws where comming loose and i crossed my fingers that was it....but no

so just for the sake of trying i took my BAM 1 piece mount and the 3-9x40 scope from my B30(great trigger but otherwise dont like it), its an airgun scope or at least sold like one unlike the simmons

and what do you know groups tightened up considerably....and more over now it doesnt shift poi from day to day cool !!! i was thinking its the gun thats something wrong with...my luck usually makes it so.

but no the rifle is fine, its accurate when i practice the howitzer hold, and in general not that hold sensitive....still groups where more than im used to...im spoiled rotten with pcp and ragged one hole groups at such short distance as 25 yards

turns out theres a "lawyer spring" a stupid spring which sole purpose is to make the trigger hard to pull.....with that out the trigger adjustment screw all of a sudden worked, and trigger got a lot better, still a far cry from AA410 / rapid /B30 yeah the B30 has a clone of the wiehrauch record trigger so its pretty good

the crosman trigger sorry benjo trigger has creep in it, and its hard to tell when you hit the edge before it fires, so 30-40% of the time im surpriced it fired....but now that its lighter (a free upgrade) its not too bad, and 1" groups are now easy (at 25y) ....

i havent measure the power, says 18 fpe on the box...i dont know if thats true, but it seems flat shooting, its .177 with cph, and more than once i aimed right at pigions at 40-50y and make contact so its not all bad.

i really like the firing cycle of the gas ram, fast, little vibrations etc...its not far off the feel my Eliminator had

rifle is well sized for an adult, and its not heavy !

finish is not in my taste but thats how it is....it is a 160$ rifle not something 10 times as much

the shroud works well, it has gotten a bit louder than it was new, or maybe i just got my ears cleaned, or maybe power has increased from new.

in the end...i would buy one again and i can recommend it, remove that extra spring and your good to go....get a good scope and mount and it will make a huge difference, but stock is fine for a kid or just casual plinking cans, tin soldiers etc...for groups and paper shooting a new scope and mount should be first on the list

i wonder if its possible to take some pressure out of the gasram, i wouldnt mind if i could take power down to 15 fpe instead of 18 fpe....18 seems a bit aggressive, and with a squirrel theres enough power to punch through and through with CPH both head or vitals, so it could make do with a tad less power

anyhow....have a great day....kill some squirrels !
Cygnus X

Postby Cygnus X » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:00 am

a small update

i REALLY like this rifle...

the simmons scope was holding back the accuracy and i had to replace it with a bam 4-12x40....the ban is a VERY cheap scope and the glass is bad...but it can hold zero which the simmons could not....it has thin milldot lines which i really like

anyhow...the rifle will shoot hole in hole at 25 yards when i concentrate a bit, its a bit hold sensitive, but most springers are...just something to practice

the gasram is still smooth both when cocking and firing, the trigger is still one of the worst in my collection...it kind of surprises me, which forces me to be better my aiming and trigger pull....but why can BAM make a superb trigger in a cheap rifle when crosman can not ?

as for hunting its pretty good but caliper limits whats ok to shoot.

accuracy....couple of times i have shot crows at 70-80 yards with success, starlings at all distances but even out at 50 yard when breath and correct hold is used...im very impressed

i can highly recommend this rifle, for someone looking for a cheap, fun all day plinker with the ability for small game hunting....

i recommend to get a good one piece mount and springer rated scope.
Cygnus X

Return to Other Guns