Q:

1 dead edgun

Hi guys,

I was shooting my Matador this afternoon, working absolutely fine for 40 shots.

I was testing the trigger after I worked on making it a little lighter. All of a sudden it would not cock.

I assumed I made the gun too light to cock, nothing unusual but even adding weight would not cure it.

So I take the stock off and remove the entire trigger unit from the tube/action.

The spring guide on the hammer has managed to shear itself off, how? I have no idea πŸ‘Ώ

How can I fix this, long term solution is a new part from Ed but I imagine this takes a while to get to me and I sold all my other guns to get this so I want it back up and running very soon.

If I drill the broken bit out of the hinge piece with a drill press and then glue the guide in this new hole will it hold for a while? I imagine a couple of weeks will be good enough…

I’ve had the rifle 5 weeks. I am gutted 😑

EdGun

All Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

1 2 3

The .25 in standard or long is brutal πŸ™‚

Do not smoke it!

You´ll like it. A good,sturdy gun with amazing accuracy. Light and nimble so even a child (or a very old geezer like H 😯 😯 T) can handle it.

Glad you like yours Ste, I’ve ordered one from ed and i cant wait for it to arrive, there are very few in the UK and im looking forward to having something special πŸ˜€

Definitely! And so they will. I just remember ,clearly, a thread where EdGuns were bashe and Crickets had no flaws. Now the Bug has been on US soil for a while so little quirks (that every air rifle has) start to emerge.

quote Sir Ville:

Now we start to see the difference between EdGun & Cricket and how they hold up.

Hmm is it possible both hi quality guns break?

To be fair guys I’ve had a LOT of guns.

Air arms s200
3 x s400’s
2 x EV2’s
Theoben Vanquish
Theoben MFR
2 Pro Targets
2 TX200’s
1 TX200SR
steyr lg100
steyr lg110
anschutz 2002
Daystate mk3
daystate mk4
daystate harrier
ripley AR5s
Plus others I have forgotten about 😳

I got it because I wanted something different, i sold 2 EV2’s to buy this and I had never even seen one in the flesh before I bought it :mrgreen: It could have been a horrible decission… but the edgun so far is my favourite gun I’ve ever owned.

It handles brilliantly, I’ve shot 65 yard FT targets (40mm) with this standing, people who have never shot it before have hit 50 yarders standing. It is just built for it :mrgreen:

As for accuracy it will 1 hole group at 35 yards – here are some groups shot at 25 yards in my garden with RWS superfields 4.51’s – it is every bit as accurate as my previous match guns were.

I use this gun for FT and HFT, I don’t hunt or do what its designed to do and even though its out of its comfort zone it is bloody brilliant and the people that have had a go of this also agree with me πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ I think Ed will be getting a few orders for these from my shooting club.

I’ve emailed Ed a few times before and he has replied with excellent english in a very timely manor. I really can’t fault the gun, the company or Ed himself. the problem was caused by me so what can I do…

As for going to tony for spares I’m in the UK :3: but I’m sure I will sort something if I ever need spares.

quote Ed:

I happens in 90 % if an owner takes the trigger block away and then cock the hammer and push the trigger. Even once is enough. If it is not broken after that it doesn’t mean anything –that is enough to have it damaged and it will be brocken soon.

I sent Tony a lot of spare parts more then a months ago, according to the tracking number the parcel left Russia and never reached USA, we will beging the search this week.

As for this particular case, there are two ways:

1. Write me to e-mail and I will send the spare probe.
2. Take off the piece of the probe, to clean the thread, make a new thread on the probe and put it back with thread tite.

NEVER make a “shoot” when the trigger block is taken off the gun.

Ed

Well to be fair Ed that is exactly what I did!!! 😳 😳 😳

I didn’t ever think it was not healthy for the gun, thankfully I have an engineer as a good friend and he has sorted this for me. He drilled out the old thread, machined a stainless steel replacment and braised it on. Looks superb.

Thanks for the feedback though Ed πŸ™‚

Live and learn

quote zocoloco:

quote Urgirlinmyjetta:

But Hughes said he was only adjusting the trigger and didnt claim to have removed the trigger frame from the gun…so from what I read it seems his linkage was weak and snapped because of stress…

– and ED has already offered to send a replacement rod ! πŸ˜€

Try that with ANY other manufacturer !!!

Cheers
Trygve πŸ˜€

Trygave;

I totally agreed with you, Ed also offered for that guy (Sniprqyt) for replacement part,
I have a very long story with Ed, he is really really helpful man,
I have been trying to find out a correct way to import the Edgun to my County (Iraq) almost 2 years ago, which is i found finally, Eduard is really helpful and friendly with me, i have more than 360 send/back emails with him in my inbox, and he has replied me all times.
God Willing I will share the story once i get my Edgun.

quote Urgirlinmyjetta:

But Hughes said he was only adjusting the trigger and didnt claim to have removed the trigger frame from the gun…so from what I read it seems his linkage was weak and snapped because of stress…

– and ED has already offered to send a replacement rod ! πŸ˜€

Try that with ANY other manufacturer !!!

That said, these things do happen. Metal/steel is not always homogenous, and metal rods may have week spots. I don’t know what happened in this particular case, but it certainly looks like the rod broke at the threaded part. Why or how will from my side just be speculations. But it could be as simple as a hidden defect inside the rod itself. Happens at times with metal with too high contents of carbon as an example…..

This has not been a typical/frequent problem given the numbers of guns out there, – but yes: It may be an idea for Ed to look into. A future stainless steel bolt may be ???

Cheers
Trygve πŸ˜€

quote Urgirlinmyjetta:

It would never break without removal & firing since there are no forces acting on that link that broke “except” if whoever put this rifle together fired it at least once before he mounted the whole trigger link on to the rifle and of course it weaken it and was just a matter of time before it broke.

Or

The other being quality control and they got it weak before putting it together.

quote Naser404:

I have a friend who own a gun shop & sells all kind of airguns, since he has no one to service them I offered to help & get to try some rifles for myself & I assure you that he’s had more problems with Daystate & FX than other guns, in fact 2 days ago I fixed a leaking Steyr LG110 and it wasn’t an O-Ring issue it was tolerances problem where the oring didn’t seal well, so I had to replace with a little bigger oring to get sealing.

At the end of the day all guns have issues but out of all the rifles I have the Edgun has the least problems so far and I have a few Diffrent guns and tried many others.

It’s Russian and built like a tank, my older R2.5 has been badly abused for more than 2 years & shot well over 8000 times and still functions like it should.

I have a cricket on back order too, so time will tell how it compares.

I shall have to agree with Naser here…. πŸ˜‰

You may have issues with all guns, – and don’t ever expect guns to be perfect over time. They will not. One of the most important beauties of Ed’s guns is they are relatively easy to fix, – unlike some more “sophisticated” constructions. My inventory counts some 50 + airguns from almost any brand available, and I have the same experience as Naser.

However, availability of spareparts could be improved, – not only for Edguns but for all of them. It is not always easy or even possible to send a gun back to the factory for repairs, especially if you have to send across borders due to custom restrictions. And if you do send the gun back, – it may end up being a very costly experience……

In the case of EDguns, – you may find there are relatively few parts, and most of them may be repaired/replaced locally without too much hazzle, – at least as a “band aid” sort of fix…..

That is if you’ll ever need a repair…………..

From Oslo with love…
Trygve πŸ˜€

quote octavius:

Important is what is more easily to fix it??? Broken edgun or leaky cricket. I think leaky cricket is easily to fix it with o-ring changes πŸ˜‰ than wait 1-2 mount for spare parts…

Well – weΒ΄ll see about the Cricket longevity when/if i get mine. The original plan was to get a Cricket .25 and compare it to my Ed .22. That way i get a good comparison between two brands and also between two calΒ΄s. Then iΒ΄d choose the cal and manufacturer i prefer. I have this nagging feeling i canΒ΄t get rid off though – iΒ΄m quite certain iΒ΄ll end up with a .25 EdGun … Remains to be seen.

Here is mine from the older R2.5 its welded if you want to do that for a quick fix.

I have a friend who own a gun shop & sells all kind of airguns, since he has no one to service them I offered to help & get to try some rifles for myself & I assure you that he’s had more problems with Daystate & FX than other guns, in fact 2 days ago I fixed a leaking Steyr LG110 and it wasn’t an O-Ring issue it was tolerances problem where the oring didn’t seal well, so I had to replace with a little bigger oring to get sealing.

At the end of the day all guns have issues but out of all the rifles I have the Edgun has the least problems so far and I have a few Diffrent guns and tried many others.

It’s Russian and built like a tank, my older R2.5 has been badly abused for more than 2 years & shot well over 8000 times and still functions like it should.

I have a cricket on back order too, so time will tell how it compares.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

1 2 3
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.