Q:

I just splattered a SODA can at 446 yards today

THAT’S A 1/4 MILE!

With an AIRGUN.

And of course guys, i got it on video…lol!

The bullet i used arrives at 450 yards with 108 FPE!…..lol! From muzzle (890 FPS) to 450 yards, it only looses about 192 FPS…lol!

Sorry guys! I’m just tickled to death………………..

BTW, of course!……..IT WAS THE TD257!

Airforce Rifles/Pistols

All Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

1 2

WOOOOOL, yes Ah can say less friction,

Astro glide. 😆

What are you doing to your mold anyway, I do love my Hoch mold, but not in that way.

RC

RC,

Notice how NOE gives you EVERY bullet dimension? That’s cool

Ahhhhhhh DAMN IT RC. I NEEDED YOU TO GET THE 100 gr FP MOLD. I need some of those….lol!

Don’t you know this is all about ME and my WANTS RC?!!!!! 😆

But they are very nice looking huh? Plus they have the thinner Lube Grooves……..AWESOME! CAN YOU SAY LESS FRICTION?!

Aw Hell, I went ahead and ordered the mold and the tool, it is only money. I have a set of handles already, maybe two sets.
RC

Well that looks like a great bullet.

I am sending off a new mold to Erik to HP a 420 this week as soon as I get it, bought it from Optics planet off ebay, go figure.

I also like the looks of that NOE flash remover tool, I have dreamed of a product like that for decades, I used to try and use my lee case mouth reamer for that.

I wil buy one of those 80 grain NOE molds if they shoot straight, still after the heaviest bullet I can send that does not go supersonnic.

RC

Yeah, your right. i seen them on Ebay and a couple other places. But during my search, a lot of places I looked at before ebay, INCLUDING Lee Precision was out. It’s amazing to me that a Corp who also manufacturers their product…….RUNS OUT OF THEIR PRODUCTS!….lol! I do not understand business as that makes no logical sense. LEE PRECISION is out of mold handles and Ebay has some………….WTF?!

Ebay has them, Lee mold handles, by the droves.

Nice looking molds, I sent you a PMG on them.

RC

Not yet. I got the mold as you know but when i ordered the MOLD HANDLES from optics planet, they sent me a email 2 days later saying the handles WERE NOT IN STOCK. But they sure as held did not mention that on the website next to a pic of the handles that say….ORDER ME! I previously searched a few places with no success as everything is sold out. But at least places like MIDWAY tells you right up front, “OUT OF STOCK”. Optics planets webpage didn’t say shit but, “ORDER ME”….lol!

I then began ANOTHER frantic search for LEE 6 cavity mold handles and oh my fucking GOD, every fucking PARANOID person in America has just about bought everything on the shelves include many molds and every pound of fucking gun powder there is.

WTF IS GOING ON IN THIS FUCKING COUNTRY?

So no sir, the mold handles haven’t come in yet but i did manage to order some. DOUG was kind enough to loan me a set of his 2 tonight. I just have to go over and get them when he is home.

ARRRRRRRGH! I AINT USED TO THIS SHIT.

Have you tried the new NOE bullets yet?

RC

OH DAMN!

Funny you mention the range and shot on a yote RC from John Bowman. The 257 is a GREAT assed lil caliber and even though my gun shoots 102 gr spitzers out to 440 yards accurately and arrives with 100+ FPE, and it shoots the 74 grain lyman at 1000+ fps and arrives at 440 yards with roughly 68 FPE, its not a 440 yard coyote gun.

So your right, its FUN trying to figure out the limitations of these guns and tells you the shooter exactly how comfortable with it you should be. So far, if i was to shoot your HOCH bullets at a YOTE or Rabbit, the absolute furthest i would go with my gun would be about 200 yards. It’s got the accuracy and the power at that range to humanely take game.

Soda cans, metal swingers and paper though are fair game so far out to 450 yards….lol!

That shot is the sort of thing that legends are made of, but I fear we have just scratched the surface of what these hot rod Dyotat and Haley rifles will do with cast bullets.

There is so much to learn as to what they like, alloys, barrels, lube, bullet design that we had to exeriment with, but then that is the fun of it all.

Now my RCBS 257 Cowboy bullets are deadly at close range, but any bullet key holing like that is deadly if you can hit anything with it. 😛

Combine that with the sprue plate holes being way too big, so that unless your opening the plate before the lead sets up due to a hot mold and hot alloy, it deforms the base, it is a POS. I have drug my heels about putting it on EBAY just in case it shoots well with the 1-10 twist barrel I have coming.

Right now there is a plain base 257 Ideal mold, 257283 87 grain on EBAY that is pristine, but those things go for well over $100.00 plus freight.

That and I ordered a 2nd Lyman 257420 mold yesterday, Erik is going to HP it for me and put the extractor linkage on it, that way I can really crank out the bullets with my 20 lb pot and running both the 257420 molds to avoid them getting too hot.

Perhaps that base does act like a boat tail or not, I have even wondered what would happen if you put a gas check on it and shot it.

Some question the practicality of this long range air gun cast bullet shooting.

John Bowman has an enormous field next to his house, he has a bait station out 300 yards, it is a woven wire round enclosure that he can put one or two large animals in and it brings in the dogs. He has killed somewhere around 30 or more coyotes this winter with his Haley 257 at ranges form 250 to 375 yards.

He shot three times at a coyote at 275 yards this winter, each time it ran a little ways and gave him another shot. It went down before he could shoot the 4th shot and died. When he skinned it he had a very nice 3 shot group on the rib cage.

Whether it is practical or not, it sure is fun.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Chancers,

It was actually really hard to do because my scope lacks the Elevation needed. So i had to used everybit of what i knew plus some to get the bullets there. With a better scope that has at least 100 MOA of adjustment, i think hitting the cans would have been easier in a sense. Trying to hit a soda can at 440+ yards while on power 6x is something fucking hard….lol! Even in the video, my camera is zoomed ALL THE WAY up to 20x and the cans are hard to see. So yeah, i won’t be trying this shot again till i scope up….lol!

RC,

The Gas check or step might have something to do with improving BC maybe. At least, i want to believe it does more than i wanna believe it doesn’t….lol! Maybe that will be the title of one of my future videos. WHETHER OR NOT A GC makes a difference vs a FLAT BASE (plain base). That would take some serious testing. Also, your HOCH bullet is the most accurate FLAT BASE bullet i’ve shot. The RCBS “COWBOY” .257 (80 gr FP) and .308 (150 gr FP) are the WORST FLAT BASED bullets i’ve ever shot. As a matter of fact, RCBS makes a 30 cal 150 gr GCFP and a COWBOY action FBFP bullet and the Gas Checked 150 gr bullet runs rings around the COWBOY Flat Base Flat Point bullet.

I messed with cast bullets in centerfires for years, but I never got the accuracy that we are getting with the air rifles and cast bullets.

I really think that we may end up finding as Butcher has said, air is a more accurate propellant for cast bullets. The only thing we lack is the ability to shoot them as fast.

The other thing that I have a hunch about is the gas check on the molds we are using, could be that acts like a boat tail in air guns.

Again, Tofazfou, great shooting.

Regards,

Roachcreek

400 yards? Wow! My old eyes have trouble seeing anything beyond 100 yards.

Heck, I’m happy if I hit a nutter at 40 yards.

Impressive. You’s guys (including RC, Dyotat, and others) are the true pioneers, pushing the limits, and doing the R&D. I’m hoping that using air rifles to shoot cast bullets/slugs at high FPE will become mainstream. My dream rifle would be one that shoots the slugs at high fpe (say 140 fpe or more), accurate, semi-automatic, and backyard friendly.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

1 2
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.