Q:

Hello

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

My name is Jesse and I live by Charlotte NC. I work for a pest control company doing wildlife control, Yep everything from snakes to coyotes. I do love my job. I get to hunt and trap for a living. So for the most part I don’t work because I love it!

For work I was using a Benjamin nitro piston in .22. I have taken a number of squirrels and a couple of raccoons (at close range) with this piston air gun. The whole time searching the net and drooling over the air force air guns. A couple of months ago on a job I was missing allot of squirrels at 20 yards where I used to nail them. I did everything I could to shrink the group and nothing worked. So for Christmas I finally pulled the trigger and decided to get the TalonSS in .25 and I am telling you like you don’t already know this gun rocks.

So far it has been one heck of an adventure. The first Talon ss PA send one of the pins in front of the safety fell out. So I lost another week by shipping that one back and them sending me a new one. Second the scope i got from them came with rings and they were for weaver style and wouldn’t work. There is another week down. lol I just got in the mail a TT shroud, and loving it. Now I am really seeing that I need a hammer slap mod. I am wondering if I can do that myself.

Now for the big question.

I want to get another AF gun while having one for personal hunting. This is what I am thinking. My personal gun I do not want a 24″+ barrel with shroud. so I was thinking an 18″ barrel with shroud. This gun would need to take coyote and fox on down from about 75 yards and under. Second of all I still need a AF for work. I will be using it allot in town for everything from euthanizing coyotes, beaver, fox, squirrel on the lamb. I want this one small and compact so I can carry it is a regular back pack from the truck to where ever it is needed. I am looking for concealment in this one.

Now I was looking at the talonP .25 for the work gun, and using the TT shroud on it. The concern that I have is the shot count. Then taking my SS with the longer frame and changing the barrel to a 18″. From my thinking this will give me the extra FPE and still use the TT shroud. I was also thinking about doing a hammer mod and a high flo tank.

I was talking to Tony at TT and he was steering me to the AAA condor for the second gun. And I do agree with him in every way. He really knows his stuff. Do the only concern that I have is the super long wait. I have no doubt that is it worth it! But my ss is still bigger than what I wanted for a work gun. Now with the shroud there is no way to conceal it.

Now I know that i am jumping all over the place here, and I am sorry for that. Now for FPE from the TalonP to the Talon SS from what i am seeing is greater in the TalonP. Possible a high flo tank?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this. If I am going to spend allot of money on mods and frames I would rather just buy another gun.

Thank you for taking the time to read my long winded space cadet post.

General Chat

All Replies

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Thank you

Probably the best thing you can do then is go with the TalonP and you can stick the shroud on it when you need to.

Talon Tunes or others are who you should talk to about upping the power for you on the SS. I would assume that the TalonP stem would let more air through (assuming it fits the valve) but a longer barrel would help much more. The longer barrel will increase the efficiency of the air you are using. It can also help with accuracy.

TT and others also make high volume stems to increase air volume and other little tricks to increase efficiency.

On the edge.

So if I take the top hat out of a talon p tank and install it on a standard ss tank will I get the same air volume a the talon p? How dose the talon p pressure compare to the condor?

I all ready have a Thad shroud. Just came in the mail on Saturday. Just inserts in to the end of the frame like the end cap and uses the same set screw. I am digging the tt shroud. Thank you tony!

I am really liking the talon p the more I look at it. Smaller frame. Really digging the compact size.

This is what I am looking at and or where my mind set is at rite now.

Getting the talon p and seeing about using my standard tank with the p top hat. Installing my tt shroud on the talon p. Then taking my S’s and sending it to tony and adding the 18″ .25 and getting all the mods done. To get the extra horse power out of it.

So hat do you think?

If you install a 12″ .25 barrel and a TalonP valve and tank on the SS, you can insert baffles in the frame and it will be shorter. There is an AR style collapsible stock that fits the TalonP tank that is used for paintball guns. Your number of good shots is limited with this size tank to about 10 -15, but should be easy to refill if needed. Your accuracy should be sufficient for under 50 yards for the tree rats and other small pests.

As for yourself, get the Condor SS. It comes with an 18″ barrel and baffles already in the extended frame. AF will also be selling the baffles seperately and they will fit in the Talon SS. I am not sure how the TT shroud attaches, but I suspect you could pick up a 24″ barrel for the Condor SS and use it with that.

As for a hard case, maybe you could go gangster and find a used guitar case that it will fit in.

Just my thoughts.

if i add an 18″ barrel it will come to the end of the frame right?

that about a talon in .22 or .25 with hiflo tank and ldc you get 18″ barrel with the option to screw on and off your ldc

+1 on what RC said. AF guns=Good. Their accessories, not so good.

Mike

roachcreek I like the looks and the logistics of your rifle. I would love that for my personal rig. That is why I’m up in the air on this. The talonss is a little bit bigger than what I wanted for work. But to upgrade it to some thing like what you have is way too much for work. But for personal on hunting grounds would be the cats meow!

By the way that is a rocking group!

Thank you for the replies.

Work gun:
Smaller than the SS. The largest point here is size of gun. Would like briefcase For carry. It is used in big city all The time. FPE 30-50 from 0-50 yards. Big critters at point blank. Ie coyote, fox, raccoon. Squirrels out to 60 yards.

I was thinking about re working the S’s for this. Possibly changing the frame to a talon since it it shorter. And upgrading the tank. That is why I was looking at the talon p. Its all ready done.

Personal:
For hunting in the woods on my personal time. Shooting squirrels from the deer blind possible fox/coyote. Shoots out to 80 yards. Looking at 25-42 gr. And possibly Jerry’s 6 or 9 ring slugs. And predator calling in areas where houses are near by. Would like this gun to have 80+FPE

I hope this helps

Jesse,

Welcome aboard.

If I were you and could wait a month or two, I would get the Condor SS, it is a longer frame than the regular Condor, is available in 25 and should give you 25 shots, and for a days work, you really should be able to get by on that. It should also be quiet enough for what your doing.

They copied my Talon SSS I had Dyotat here on the forum make up for me, and it is a very well balanced rifle. Mine is a bit louder than the Condor SS will be because I have a Dyotat medium valve and shoot 74 grain cast bullets @ 820FPS/110 FPE out of mine.

Now a tip, other than their rifles, most of the stuff Air Force sells is junk and over priced. Do not buy their scopes, pumps, rings and bipod.

150 yard group with the Talon SSS and 74 grain bullets.

Regards,

Roachcreek

For grins, can you list your primary goals for each gun in bullet format. E.g. Work gun, 30fpe, 50 yard, raccoon and smaller. Etc. it will help people match your goals to a production gun. You may need only one gun or two guns with a selection of different tanks.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.