Texan Power Adjustment

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing, Y

yoteloco

Texan Power Adjustment

Postby yoteloco » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:03 pm

I am not an airgun snob or a know it all. In fact when I talk to someone who really knows the workings and tuning (beyond factory adjustments) I am lost. Having said that I hope this may actually help someone because I do read and understand directions and have been shooting the Texans since they came out. The adjustment wheel is NOT a power wheel per say. Dialed one direction is NOT high power and dialed the other is NOT low power. The wheel can be adjusted for max velocity of a given bullet weight. Generally dialed in (down turns) is headed toward the best for lighter and dialed out (up turns) is headed toward heavier bullets. I wanted to post this because I have seen many videos made where there is an obvious misunderstanding. If you are someone who has posted these videos by the way this is not a knock on you. I am always glad to see newvideos and see other peoples tips and results. I just want to help anyone who may need it to get the max from their gun. An example would be if you have the wheel dialed downward or inward (threaded in toward barrel) with a light bullet, moving all the way out the other way (what many are calling "high power" you will actually lose velocity. Just mess with that wheel till you find a max performance spot and get the most out of the gun for that bullet weight. Remember its not at all like the condor or talon. Hope this helps someone get the most.

BigTinBoat
New User

Re: Texan Power Adjustment

Postby BigTinBoat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:17 am

Good information.

I haven't yet gotten to the range (can't shoot the Texan in my 25yd backyard) but basically the way I understand the adjustment is this.

Turned "down" towards the butt increases the spring tension and will get you the max velocity on the lightest slugs. Then as your slug weight increases you can lower the spring tension (rotating the adjuster towards the muzzle) and this will increase your efficiency without reducing the velocity of the heavier slugs.

When I finally get to the range here is what I propose to do. I will be trying 250g hp slugs.
1) I will tether to my 2800psi regulator.
2) I will turn the adjuster all the way towards the muzzle end.
3) I will then shoot over chrony noting speed.
4) I will then move the adjuster towards the butt to hopefully increase the velocity.
5) Continue shooting and turning adjuster towards butt between each shot or 2.
Once I get to the point that my velocity no longer increases with movement towards the butt I will move the adjuster back to the point where my velocity just stopped increasing. This should be the adjustment where I have max velocity with max efficiency.

Anyone with Texan experience, Is this correct thinking?

yoteloco

Postby yoteloco » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 am

Right. Then you will find best spot for that bullet. I've also found that sometimes the max velocity gives a big drop in fps of the next shot so I'll back off to a point where I get three shots closer in fps to each other. I had some 49 gr bullets doing 1251 fps with the 308 but next shot was 1230 ish so I backed the wheel the other way and found I could get three shots in the mid 1240 range.

BigTinBoat
New User

Postby BigTinBoat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15 am

yoteloco wrote:Right. Then you will find best spot for that bullet. I've also found that sometimes the max velocity gives a big drop in fps of the next shot so I'll back off to a point where I get three shots closer in fps to each other. I had some 49 gr bullets doing 1251 fps with the 308 but next shot was 1230 ish so I backed the wheel the other way and found I could get three shots in the mid 1240 range.

That makes perfect sense. On the "curve" of the velocity string (based on hammer strike) is always better efficiency then peak velocity. Better efficiency on the 1st shot leaves more air for increased velocity on the next shot.

Return to “Texan”