Leshiy barrel clamp bolts

Any threads that are EdGun specific should go in here.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing, Wingman NZ

shooter3

Postby shooter3 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Ok, every barrel mounted in Leshiy will have a tight spot from the clamps. Just try to push a pellet through the barrel mounted in Leshiy. With 25cm barrel it is not a big deal because the clamping force creates an artificial choke but with longer barrels that choke is not located at the muzzle.

Wingman, do you think that a perfect barrel is even throughout the whole length and it is just a little bit tighter at the muzzle?

Wingman NZ
BullPup Moderators
BullPup Moderators

Postby Wingman NZ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:01 pm

You are clearly over tightening your leshiy barrel bolts.
There is no way they should be tightened so much that you form a choke mid barrel.

Your barrel description is as they should be yes.

PiterM

Postby PiterM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Man, bolt-choking barrel... now THAT is tight! Surely waaaay to tight. It takes A LOT of force to choke a barrel.
Sebenza - simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

shooter3

Postby shooter3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 am

Just try to push a pellet through a clamped barrel. Ed observed that in Matador R2.5 and he changed the way of barrel mounting in R3. I would say that you do not need much force to choke a barrel, especially in 6.35 where barrel walls are thin.

Are you able to provide the value of torque in Nm that should be used to tighten the bolts? Too much and you make a choke, too little and you shoot your barrel away and destroy the silencer.

I've just tried to loosen the bolts and the barrel is moving. There is no way to keep it in position without choking effect.

mateo74
New User

Postby mateo74 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:22 am

It literally takes a hydraulic press to choke barrels. The only thing I could think of it changing is the resonance of the barrel which i don't know if it has any affect on pcp's like it supposedly does on Powder burners. I am Ocd and use torque wrenches on everything and usually tighten those two bolts to 40 inch pounds and no issues.

shooter3

Postby shooter3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:31 am

In order to create a permanent choke, yes, the force must be significant. However, wthin the material plasticity boundaries it is enough to use two screws in Leshiy to create a temporary choke which disappears when you loose the screws. Please just push a pellet and you will see. Even Ed mentioned that there is no use choking 25cm barrel because the choking effect will be induced by the clamping force.

C'mon guys, just push a pellet through your 6.35 35cm barrels and it will become obvious to you.

petkyp
New User

Postby petkyp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 am

Ed clearly states in his video that all Leshiy calibers barrels are "slightly" choked ...

So your 20 cal is 250mm or 350mm?

It sounds strange for a choke to be created by clamping....

I ll check my barrels and let you know

shooter3

Postby shooter3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:14 am

Yeah, just check it. The barrel must be firmly mounted in Leshiy and you need to push a pellet with a cleaning rod. Then you can do the same after barrel dismounting. I am sure you will feel the difference, especially in 6.35. In 25cm barrels this is not a big deal but in 35cm ones it is simply not perfect.

mrv

Postby mrv » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:26 am

my both 250mm (.22 cal and .25cal) barrels are choked. when I push pellets through the barrel feels a resistance about 2 centimeter before the end. any resistance do not feel in the middle of the barrel.

shooter3

Postby shooter3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:53 am

Yes, in 25cm barrels it is not an issue, but I am talking about 35cm ones.

lars-atx

Postby lars-atx » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:54 pm

How does the barrel get clamped? Is this a double bolt pipe clamp, or 2 screws that just apply pressure on the barrel similar to the LMT MRP barrel swap system?

shooter3

Postby shooter3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:30 pm

2 screws keep it on place.

PiterM

Postby PiterM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Screws go through the stock so must be some kind of pipe/vice system. Screws don't put pressure on barrel directly, otherwise they'd not go through from one side to the other.

shooter3

Postby shooter3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Well, that is obvious :winkn: .

Wingman NZ
BullPup Moderators
BullPup Moderators

Postby Wingman NZ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:25 am

Just pushed some pellets through my mounted 310mm BSA barrel with the screws done up tighter than they would ever need to be and there is absolutely no choking effect on my .25 bore. Just silky smooth the whole way through with a nice felt resistance through the last 25mm of choke.

petkyp
New User

Re: Leshiy barrel clamp bolts

Postby petkyp » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:34 am

Wingman NZ wrote:Just pushed some pellets through my mounted 310mm BSA barrel with the screws done up tighter than they would ever need to be and there is absolutely no choking effect on my .25 bore. Just silky smooth the whole way through with a nice felt resistance through the last 25mm of choke.

My 350mm 0.177 LW barrel behaves the same ... No chocking effect at the clamp point

PiterM

Postby PiterM » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:48 am

I don't have 350mm barrel (yet) but can't imagine it could be 'choked' by this clamping system... no way! Leshie's chassis is made of aluminium alloy and it'd compress / give-up way faster than steel barrel. imho. Trust me, I'm an engineer :)

(actually... that's true)

shooter3

Postby shooter3 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:20 am

Theory and practice are different. I can feel a choke created by the mounting system. Ed mentioned me on IWA 2016 that choking effect occurs. This is why he changed the approach to mounting the barrel in R3. Just ask him, he is also an engineer.

How about that:

http://rs915.pbsrc.com/albums/ac351/rgb ... 0&fit=clip

The barrel's walls are much thinner in 6.35.

Wingman, your barrel is different as it is BSA - it is a hammer forged barrel and the structure of the steel is different after the process than LW. Do we have any LW 6.35 35cm barrel users here?

keyser soze

Postby keyser soze » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:33 am

Shooter there is no way that pinch clamp with 3 mm screw is creating choke on a LW barrel. The magnets will break if you tighten the screws too much. A more likely senerio for your accuracy issues comes from installing the pellet into the chamber

shooter3

Postby shooter3 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:49 am

Please just check it. Do I need to make a movie to prove that? How much do you pay me if I am right?

As of the accuracy, it goes south after like 40 shots. It is quite ok when the barrel is clean. I am sure it's a barrel problem. Honestly, I had like 7 of them (for Matadors) in 2 years period and they did not like JSB pellets at all. It was obvious that the barrels were not even in dimension when it comes to the internal bore channel. I am talking about .25 ones. I do not know how Ed can be satisifed with them. Maybe LW barrel blanks are fine but the ones produced for Matadors and my Leshiy are simply not perfect.

I have everything documented and I have tons of groups, not mentioning money and time spent on testing. It's simply a circus with Ed's LW 6.35 barrels.

Return to “EdGun”