TalonP Take Down Rifle - aka - TP-TDR

Any threads that are TalonP specific should go in here.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing

MexiGunner
New User

TalonP Take Down Rifle - aka - TP-TDR

Postby MexiGunner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:16 pm

The TalonP meets all of the criteria I require for a lightweight, nimble and lethal TDR rifle that can be deployed from a backpack without tools in less than 90 seconds. Allow me to explain.

I didn't know what to make of this little thing. It was a late night when I ordered it, and a maybe a half a baker's dozen worth of brew influenced my decision along with the FREE TalonP shoulder stock...around $79 bucks on its own right. The TP looked so cool in the pictures, and for $454.95 including the stock, I was all in. Ordered a few extra bundles of .25 pellets. This time I bought a wider variety of brands and weights along with my Marauder's perennial favorite barracuda hunters. All in all just over $550 after tax and free shipping. Took about 3 days to get her in my hands and damn, it was love at first sight! This little booger is light, easy to shoulder for a smaller guy like me (5'8, 160lbs) AND the tank is detachable and so is the shoulder stock! WINNING!

Immediately, after ordering the TalonP, I ordered the Gen6 9-incher (cuz she likes them big), TT Quick-Change Top Hat (TTQCTH), o-ring kit and trigger spring. They arrived one day after my TalonP so I was a happy camper! I will do a more detailed review of each of these components, but I wanted to get the maximum potential out of this gun in order to meet my initial requirements for making my purchase.

With the OAL of ~23.25" inches, adding the 9-incher, and extending the shoulder pad to a reasonable length took her to about 32" OAL. DAMN IT! I can't fit this is a backpack!!! I was pissed. But to Airforce's credit, this platform is extremely efficient in design, and it allows the end user to easily disassemble, maintain and reassemble the TalonP with little to no tools. All I needed was to replace a few critical set screws with 10-32 knurled bolts. The set-screws I replaced are the barrel cap, Spin-Loc collar, shoulder stock. Up front near the barrel cap I used 10-32x3/8 with a crush washer fro tension and preventing me from overtightening it. Spin-Loc took the same knurled bolt and manages to stay away from operational interference. The shoulder stock knurled bolts are 10-32x7/17 with 1/4 aluminum spacers and crush washers.

By adding these knurled bolts, I can now easily break down and reassemble the entire rifle in under 90 seconds. Twist the bolts hand tight at the front with the 9-incher and she holds on tight with NO WIGGLE. Up on the spin-loc, she is stiff as a board and tank is firm and tight. The best part is the shoulder stock bolts because it now allows me to quickly shorten or lengthen my the rifle by about 4". It all fits in an old leather laptop backpack I have laying around.

Please let me know your critique of my concept...and yes I know this is probably not original so let's not start that. Any issues with using knurled bolts instead of original set-screws?

Well the flight of the TP-TDR begins!

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Attachments
IMG_6482.jpg
IMG_6481.jpg

MexiGunner
New User

Re: TalonP Take Down Rifle - aka - TP-TDR

Postby MexiGunner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Two more... can't help it cuz she looks so puuurty!
Attachments
IMG_6414.jpg
IMG_6454.jpg

Blacktalon6

Re: TalonP Take Down Rifle - aka - TP-TDR

Postby Blacktalon6 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:50 pm

Looking good :8:

Return to “TalonP (Pistol)”