Microlite Bullpup kit for TalonP

Any threads that are TalonP specific should go in here.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing

Hoot
Location: Toad Suck, Arkansas - Registered Republican. Ultra-Conservative, Hard-core skeptic-at-large.

Re: Microlite Bullpup kit for TalonP

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:01 pm

:hoot:

That Sightmark sight mounted on top those dovetail to picatinny mounts puts that red dot exactly where it needs to be and It's hitting right on target every time.

I'll get more info out soon...too much going on here right now.

Hoot:
"One day I’ll be dead and someone will find this website and think, ‘Wow! That guy was really stupid. Good thing he’s dead.’”

LEE IN VA.

Postby LEE IN VA. » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:01 pm

Personally I don't like red dots on airguns except for maybe big bores. I just can't get the precision I need at over 30 yards. I really like the idea and have a couple, one on a big bore and a shotgun.

Hoot
Location: Toad Suck, Arkansas - Registered Republican. Ultra-Conservative, Hard-core skeptic-at-large.

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:10 pm

A year ago I would have agreed with you. However, I now find the SightMark tiny red dot easier to hold on target and score a hit than using a scope.

That being said, it only applies for shots made within 50 yards. After that it's the 4 -16X Compact SWAT, or the Vortex 2 - 7X.

Hoot:
"One day I’ll be dead and someone will find this website and think, ‘Wow! That guy was really stupid. Good thing he’s dead.’”

LEE IN VA.

Postby LEE IN VA. » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:03 pm

Hoot wrote::hoot:

A year ago I would have agreed with you. However, I now find the SightMark tiny red dot easier to hold on target and score a hit than using a scope.

That being said, it only applies for shots made within 50 yards. After that it's the 4 -16X Compact SWAT, or the Vortex 2 - 7X.

Hoot:

What model is it? I think 3 moa is their smallest dot.

Hoot

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:50 am

http://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Mini-Sh ... B000RY1C8S

These originally came out at a retail price of $140 at Walmart. I bought mine on sale for $70, and it seems that has been established as a reasonable market price. I believe they tried to squeeze a large profit margin originally because of it's tiny size.

It is 3 MOA. For a red dot, manual on-off, tiny sight, I have found it to be excellent for smaller air guns, such as the Colibri, TalonP and Vulcan. The 3 MOA has not been a problem for my "pesting". If I want to split hairs, I have a 16X scope to go to.

That's my opinion.

Hoot:

Hoot

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:49 pm

My gun parts arrive tomorrow, should get some specs and results out by the weekend. This might end up being a 70+ FPE shooter!!!!! Stay tuned.

Hoot:
Last edited by Hoot on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:51 pm

That's going to be a nice one. When building the integral suppressor for the 12'' barrel I came to the same conclusion about volume, that's why I went with choke points instead of volume reducing baffles.

Some baffling is needed, but of all things to be considered for sound suppression volume is most important. You will notice that the most effective shrouds available like Neil and Tony's will always have a larger OD to maximize Volume.
Born twice die once, born once Die twice.

coors

Postby coors » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:46 pm

That's going to be quite the setup there, Hoot! I've been working on my own 1 3/4" dia. LDC, for about a month, but since I have to learn each step and buy unique tooling for each step, it's taking some time. I was entertaining several ideas for the baffling, but your great rear shot of the internals of the Clague LDC has me rethinking this again. Looking forward to reading all of your findings and the 49gr. bullets look extremely interesting, too. I've been following the BBT (Bob's Boattail Bullet) thread on the N.O.E. forum, group buy for 41gr and 51gr .25 cal. moulds. Is your 49gr cast from one those 51gr moulds? Bob's (Robert Sterne) bullet designs are supposed to be "world-class" stuff.

Hoot

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:09 am

They are marked Hunter's Supply Flat Point and I don't know if they are still made. I bought some Rat Sniper Wicked Hollowpoints and they seem well made.

Be aware slugs shouldn't be shot "in the neighborhood" because at high speed their weight/mass is so great, unless they hit something dead on, they tend to flatten and ricochet all over the place. Slugs are best for hunting away from people.

Hoot:

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:55 pm

Finally found some time to do updated kit pics with the new sound suppression barrel mount.
The 1st pic is of the kit for the mad dog stocks. The 2nd one is the standard kit.

Last edited by tagdagger on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tec-0-Tea

Postby Tec-0-Tea » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Very nice work!

Hoot

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:05 pm

The change in balance of the gun is a tremendous improvement. It "feels" lighter than it is, and it's easier to "hold steady" without a bench rest!

Hoot:

17reed98
New User

Postby 17reed98 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:24 am

So I've stepped into the pcp world with a talonp, got it this week and man this is gonna be fun. Was on the fence about a few different guns and the microlite conversion kept pulling me back to the talonp. Small, compact, strong, love it so far can't wait to see how it performs with some more time and mods to come. Thanks to Talon forum and the knowledge here. Looking forward to learning more and looking forward to the microlite kit.

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Here are some pics of an awesome build a customer just sent me. The stock is just Gorgeous. Doug of Maddog stocks is the Michael Angelo of wood. amazing work!

45Bravo
New User

Postby 45Bravo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Very nice..
3 people can keep a secret...
If 2 of them are dead...

coors

Postby coors » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:57 pm

Wow! That is so much nicer than the laminated, to me. I wonder what that stock would look like if there was no gap between the tank and the wood, full tank support. It looks very fragile to me as it is, like it wouldn't survive a hard drop. Very nice craftsmanship, nevertheless!

Hoot

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:10 pm

coors wrote:...It looks very fragile to me as it is, like it wouldn't survive a hard drop. Very nice craftsmanship, nevertheless!

I'd say, from my observation, that the tank support wouldn't be affected by a dropped weapon. That tank mount is a lot more heavy duty than a picture can show.

Having shot the MicroLite TalonP, I must say I am amazed at the shot count, power, and balance inherent in the design. While my 16" barrel requires an LDC of 9", it is hammer slap quiet...that's saying a lot for a 72 fpe shooter!

I wonder what kind of wood that stock is made out of...and what the price for the upgrade might be?

Hoot:

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:00 am

I have been testing a new air stripping mod for the kits. Testing has revealed a definite benefit managing the extra air especially when shooting at higher fps. Every extra feature adds to the cost of making the kits so I may offer them as an accessory or when I find the optimum distance from the barrel move the choke point and eliminate the middle vent. Eliminating the middle vent doesn't diminish the sound suppression may even help some.

Hoot

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:39 am

Curious....Where is the "stripped air" routed to?

Is it re-circulated within the shroud, or vented somewhere along the shroud frame?

Since I chose to use a 16" barrel on mine, I lose a great deal of the air stripping benefit within the shroud, but an over-sized LDC accommodates for that. My 70+ FPE, with your kit and the LDC is hammer slap silent...and even that is subdued by the MicroLite kit covering the point of hammer impact. The material you used is very good at absorbing sound. Since it's not all metal to metal contact now, a lot of that harmonic noise is not transmitted through the frame which tends to amplify the hammer impact sound. Now it's "muffled"...not eliminated, but definitely quieter than before!

So far, the MicroLite kit has proven durable, doesn't move around or feel "loose"...the material has shown no signs of wear from use, and seems to be self lubricating. I haven't seen any need to lube any moving part on the kit. One of the problems I had with the old Talon SS I owned some years back, was the cocking knob eventually wore an indentation into the aluminum breech where the cocking knob rested when the gun was cocked and fired. I have seen no sign of such wear in this kit so far. In fact, there doesn't appear to be any impact of the cocking knob against the MicroLite cocking knob rest. The cocking knob is not pressing against it's resting point. It simply drops into place and stays there without any problem or movement when fired.

I have to admit I'm impressed so far! The kit so far has offered a noticeable and serious return in function and performance for the money spent. I don't regret the cost, and believe me I have regretted many "mods" and "updates" in the past. I don't say this often, but the MicroLite kit, the Donny Du and Neil Clague equipment I have used on this gun have all have returned genuine value for the money spent. The Maddog stock superbly balances this TalonP, and I don't see myself ever selling this gun. It's the best handling, hardest shooting .25 caliber pcp I have ever owned! It's in a soft case and I just toss it in the back of the truck when I'm out in the boonies. The little pellet holder is great for carrying plenty of pellets/slugs for the occasional shot I take along the back roads and woods I frequent.

Hoot:

PS: An added value, I'm getting 20 full power shots from that tiny tank!!!

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:18 am

Hoot wrote::hoot:

Curious....Where is the "stripped air" routed to?

Is it re-circulated within the shroud, or vented somewhere along the shroud frame?

That's correct. The air is not immediately vented into the atmosphere like a front mounted airstripper, but even contained in the frame it is still a benefit. It redirects most of the air flow over the barrel mount for a moment to allow the pellet to outrun the initial blast at the barrel.

Return to “TalonP (Pistol)”