Microlite Bullpup kit for TalonP

Any threads that are TalonP specific should go in here.

Moderators: PANDEMIC, WalkonKing

coors

Re: Microlite Bullpup kit for TalonP

Postby coors » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi Dave, just letting you know that I no longer have the 12" barrel, in case you decide to send more goodies. Also, the band that you sent fits the 60mm tank perfectly. Thank you! And, would you know of anywhere that I can buy spare Talon-P valve parts from? I need a valve seal and valve spring.

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:18 pm

You can get the valve seal and spring directly from AF 1-877 247 4867 Be sure and specify you need the direct flo seal for the TalonP.
Born twice die once, born once Die twice.

coors

Postby coors » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:00 pm

Thank you!

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:37 am

Made up a couple of aluminum rear action housings for a quick detach option on the kits. Will be black anodize, although the silver does look kind of cool.

coors

Postby coors » Fri May 20, 2016 4:35 pm

Dave, I can't believe that I didn't see this until today. Man, I'd really like to get one of those aluminum QD actions, bare. I'll send you a PM. By the way, the original kit that I bought from you is absolutely fantastic and accuracy is 100% reliable, now that every screw is loctited. Set up for the 1st 3-shots averaging right at 70fpe, with a newly, thoroughly, cleaned 16.5", .25 barrel it put 3-H&N Grizzlies into 3/16" @ 50 yards, last evening. I'm also getting 1.25"-1.5" 3-shot groups @ 121 yards. For me, there is no other airgun out there that interests me.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0l0vcwlqacpuhmj/AAAgeEpJtTtDtXP2gkADhCDea

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pmnv1ak0fm4hdqb/AABH2iY3pYpUZZIbp17cwluza
Last edited by coors on Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoot
Location: Toad Suck, Arkansas - Registered Republican. Ultra-Conservative, Hard-core skeptic-at-large.

Postby Hoot » Fri May 20, 2016 4:59 pm

:hoot:

Tag, how do you get the air cylinder off the gun? Curious, do I need a special wrench?

Regards,

Hoot:
"One day I’ll be dead and someone will find this website and think, ‘Wow! That guy was really stupid. Good thing he’s dead.’”

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Sun May 22, 2016 2:24 pm

coors wrote:Dave, I can't believe that I didn't see this until today. Man, I'd really like to get one of those aluminum QD actions, bare. I'll send you a PM. By the way, the original kit that I bought from you is absolutely fantastic and accuracy is 100% reliable, now that every screw is loctited. Set up for the 1st 3-shots averaging right at 70fpe, with a newly, thoroughly, cleaned 16.5", .25 barrel it put 3-H&N Grizzlies into 3/16" @ 50 yards, last evening. I'm also getting 1.25"-1.5" 3-shot groups @ 121 yards. For me, there is no other airgun out there that interests me.

ImageImage

Thats looking really good Coors!, I like what you've done with your gun.

I have been working with some aluminum rear actions. The one I'm settling on is a QD, but a little different than the QD in the pic, having some machined next week. I'll email or PM you the specs and some pics when their done.

Tag, how do you get the air cylinder off the gun? Curious, do I need a special wrench?

Hoot, no special tool needed.

If you need to remove the tank from your MD kit remove the screws from the tank band, then the grip and forarm screw, lift the gun frame with tank from the stock, make sure the tank collar set screw is tight, then unscrew the tank.

coors

Postby coors » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:25 pm

Thanks for posting my images, Dave! A strange thing happened, this evening. I changed out the o-ring in the bolt, the one that slides over the end of the valve-stem, and now the gun sounds like it's shooting around the speed of sound. A very distinct crack and the projectile hits the 50 yard target seemingly instantly. I'll chronograph it when I get a chance, but any idea how a single o-ring swap can cause such a huge velocity increase? Also, can someone please let me know what the o-ring size is inside the Talon-P valve?

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:12 pm

Hummm....that is a mystery. You and Hoot have me wanting to set up a 16'' barrel.

Check out this folding stock prototype. labor intensive build, but fun :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DreSW6kJZ6Q

Hoot
Location: Toad Suck, Arkansas - Registered Republican. Ultra-Conservative, Hard-core skeptic-at-large.

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:08 am

Note from use...the Microlite material is holding up better than aluminum where the bolt seats when cocked! The aluminum frame would eventually get an indentation when the cocked bolt was seated. This is not the case with the material used in the Microlite.

Hoot:
Last edited by Hoot on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One day I’ll be dead and someone will find this website and think, ‘Wow! That guy was really stupid. Good thing he’s dead.’”

coors

Postby coors » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks for that, Hoot... that's interesting. Dave, what material(s) are you going to use in that collapsing-stock version of the extended-receiver? And that shroud that covers the frame, did you turn the ribs off of the frame or are they still there?
As for my claim of my gun going sonic after swapping one of the breech-bolt o-rings, it simply isn't so. I chronied it and got 1009, 1002 and 990,2, from a 2750 psi fill. So, I dug out all 3x boxed o-ring sets that I have and this time I removed the the 2nd, original o-ring from the bolt and compared it to the #011 o-ring in each set. What I found was that the 7/16"x5/16"x1/16" o-rings from 2x of the 3x sets were thinner in diameter than the original. The metric set's #011 was slightly thicker in diameter. I replaced both of the bolt's o-rings with the metric set #011 o-rings and the sonic-crack is now gone. By the way, I still don't know what size o-ring goes in the Talon-P valve.

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Hoot's right about that black Acetal. I don't think it would distort or wear in a 100 years of use. The choice was and is difficult between using Acetal or aluminum as they both have advantages and disadvantages. Initially I went with the Acetal because it is extremely lite wt, rigid and would not mar the anodize on the gun when attaching to the gun frame.

While the Acetal is very rigid the Quick Detach version will need to be even stiffer without the added support of the Maddog or rail stock so aluminum is needed on that one.

At this point the folding tank(stock) is just a prototype that needs some more work. It functions and shoots well, but when shooting with a scope I notice a slight flinch to the left in the sight picture when the hammer strikes. Currently It only has an angled shoulder lock for the open and closed position,but I think it needs a redundant lock to get rid of the flinch I mentioned.

Coors, the frame ribs are gone and the frame is vented for more air volume on the ldc in the video. A call to Airforce would be the best way to get the right size on the oring.

coors

Postby coors » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:08 am

Thanks, Dave! I'll try to get in touch with them again. Ok, so is that shroud 2 1/4" diameter?

Jethro

Postby Jethro » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:48 am

Hi Tagdagger I've been following this kit with a lot of interest, my hats off to you for your innovation :8:
Back in December you wrote,

tagdagger wrote:If one was willing to get rid of the PW that would add 2 more inches for a total of 7'' which might get you to mouse fart quiet.

So, how useful is power wheel? In your opinion, assuming the benefits of the wheel are marginal would removing the wheel and replacing it with additional sound suppression be a good trade off?
I got a sweater for Christmas. What I really wanted was a moaner

.22 Condor SS
.22 HW100T
.22 Diana 460
.22 QB57

Hoot

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:20 am

Jethro wrote:So, how useful is power wheel? In your opinion, assuming the benefits of the wheel are marginal would removing the wheel and replacing it with additional sound suppression be a good trade off?

My power wheel is set on "0" and I see no need to go higher. This is my experience and yours may differ, but it is food for thought!

Neil Clague also made me a 9" X 1.5" grub screw attached LDC which made the gun silent, except for some minor hammer slap. You sacrifice length but when you need REALLY quiet....

Hoot:

Jethro

Postby Jethro » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:10 am

Hoot wrote:My power wheel is set on "0" and I see no need to go higher. Hoot:

Thank you Hoot. First, let me start by saying that I don't have any experience of the P so my perceptions and questions may be a bit off. But what you've said about the power wheel pretty much mirrors other tuned AF platforms.

Second, whilst full power isn't an issue at the moment in a year or two I'll be back in England and the gun will need to become sub 12lbs and the UK models aren't supplied with a power wheel.

Third, .25 ammo is unavailable to me at the moment so I was thinking of going for a 12" .22 barrel and varying the power by using a TTQCTH and the five inserts.

So taking these three points into consideration my thinking is as follows;
- doing away with the power wheel and utilising the TTQCTH and inserts, (plus the other usual mods), would make a highly configurable variable power gun, that could easily be made UK compliant

- as indicated by tagdagger, it would benefit from additional noise suppression without an increase in length

- I could use my 9" TT suppressor if I felt the need.

So please tell me, am I on the right track here or is there anything I've misunderstood?
And how would one go about converting the space vacated by the power wheel (2"?) to aid noise suppression?

TIA

.22 Condor SS
.22 HW100T
.22 Diana 460
.22 QB57

Hoot

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:59 pm

I believe you are right where you need to be with your thinking.

Especially at 12 fpe, there will be little to no muzzle blast. Further, Tagdagger was working on an enhancement to his own system to redirect air inside the shroud. Best talk to him about that.

Regards,

Hoot:

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:42 pm

coors wrote: so is that shroud 2 1/4" diameter?

The OD on the shroud in the video is 1.75.

It is a cool, but very radical mod that I did to my oldest original prototype frame that was used to engineer the kits so it was a good volunteer for the project.

tagdagger wrote:
If one was willing to get rid of the PW that would add 2 more inches for a total of 7'' which might get you to mouse fart quiet.

The sound suppression that is built into the kits does very well as long as you keep it around 35fpe or less, However if you try to get closer to 50fpe with the 12'' barrel its going to get louder and need an additional suppressor. 50fpe also overwhelms the available volume and starts to cause some blow back so an additional shroud is needed at that energy level.

Like Hoot said for the UK 12fpe range the built in suppression is going to be extremely quiet and there will be no need to add additional length to the gun with another shroud.
Last edited by tagdagger on Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagdagger

Postby tagdagger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:09 pm

Jethro wrote:So please tell me, am I on the right track here or is there anything I've misunderstood?
And how would one go about converting the space vacated by the power wheel (2"?) to aid noise suppression?

While possible unfortunately it might take additional engineering to take advantage of the PW void. The barrel mount would have to move back 2'' and the new rear action would have to be extended 2'' or If the PW window is also gone on the UK frames you may be able to just move the rear bushing back which would give you the additional 2'' of void less the width of the bushing.

Jethro

Postby Jethro » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:39 am

Hoot wrote:I believe you are right where you need to be with your thinking.

Thanks Hoot

.22 Condor SS
.22 HW100T
.22 Diana 460
.22 QB57

Return to “TalonP (Pistol)”